Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has over the years had these small tiny almost like

Customer Question

My dog has over the years had these small tiny white almost like pimples on her back. Other than when I look at them and pull her hair away she does not seem bothered by them. What are they? I will attach a picture.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are they itchy for her?

Since you have some photos, can you post them for me to see? To do so, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr,Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only have it on my phone and is giving me trouble attaching it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's an itchy dog to begin with. She's a white dog and has some skin issues being that she gets hot spots so I have a neomycin powder and a shampoo for her. These I can't say specifically itch her but they could
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I just did and will start composing my reply.

I will speak to you again shortly,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience,

What you are seeing there is a focal bacterial infection (micro-abscess). We can see these when a dog has irritated skin due to underlying allergies or scratches the skin causing micro-trauma that the skin bacteria can then sneak into. Now its good that she only gets a few because some dogs can break out with a full infection (pyoderma) that can require antibiotics to settle. That said, fi she just has a few, then you can spot treat them with salt water bathing and then applying an OTC antibiotic cream.

Otherwise, since you noted that she is prone to skin issues, I would that she sounds like an allergic dermatitis dog. In that case, I would also note that we can often manage milder cases with antihistamines. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. But you could consider this alongside your topical care to see if you can reduce her itchiness and thus reduce these secondary micro-abscesses for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type of over the counter antibiotic ointment or cream? So it's not something I need to take her to the vet for, correct?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

If we only have a few, we can use neosporin. If there are more, then we need oral/systemic antibiotics from your vet to clear this.

Take care,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really can't be sure if there more than just a few. I haven't noticed that many but I can't be sure. I give her baths and haven't overly noticed a large amount. So what do you suggest?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are so tiny that it's possible there are more. I was just petting her and noticed it so am not sure if there are a lot of them. I assume not, maybe a handful. So you suggest I just use neosporin? She's not overly itching. I use a medicated shampoo on her that the vet gave me.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

If you are only seeing a few at the moment, then spot/topical treat them and monitor her. If you see more, then we'd need to think about systemic treatment. But if she settles, then we are fine with the above.

All the best,

Dr. B.

*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet