How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 15574
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 20 pound Cavalier swallowed my 90 year old moms 75mg

Customer Question

My 20 pound Cavalier swallowed my 90 year old moms 75mg Pradaxa pill
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you said 8 minute wait. Its been well over 14 mins.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry for your wait. I suspect that it is mainly due to your request for a phone call. I cannot help with a phone call, nor can many veterinarians on this site. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. But I saw no one answered so I will try to help this way.

I understand that your pup ingested Pradaxa (Dabigatran etexilate). This drug is used to control blood clots, especially in people after strokes or hip or knee replacement surgery.
It is not a drug used in dogs routinely but toxicity studies done on dogs before it was marketed showed low toxicity for dogs. Oral doses of 600 mg/kg (2.2pounds) did not induce any toxicologically important changes in dogs and Rhesus monkeys. What that means is that there should be no long term organ damage or effects from the drug given once, but we could see increased bleeding.
If it has been less than an hour and a half since she ingested the pill you can give 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight soaked up with bread chunks or a little ice cream ( 2 tablespoons for her).
Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.
If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the pill pieces are present.
Then when she is done vomiting her stomach contents to try and settle her stomach today you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach.
Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice.
If you don't have peroxide you can get her to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting, or you can choose to take a wait and see approach.
We do not have an antidote to this drug, so if she does become symptomatic all we can do is transfuse her. Although this is unlikely to occur given this is a one time dose.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.