Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate a 10mg ambien pill. Tried to induce vomiting with

Customer Question

My dog ate a 10mg ambien pill. Tried to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide recommended by local vet. Did not work. Now we are just to monitor her for any side affects. Worried a big. Want her to be ok
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Email will be ok. Ty
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Or here

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. If your dog has swallowed the Ambien (zolpidem) then what we would expect to see would be mild sedation at dose levels of around 0.2 mg/kg and then an excitement phase at higher dose levels of say around 0.6 mg/kg or higher. { strange I know }

2. For example if you estimate your Golden Doodle's weight at around 25 kg ? and she took a 10 mg ambien, this works out at 0.4 mg/kg, so if your dog did swallow this tablet then you may see excitement type symptoms { Or lethargy } for 12 hours or so but this would normally not be a serious situation as the dog should return to normal when the drug drains out of her system.

While there are no guarantees the good news is that deaths related to Ambien toxicity in dogs are very rare indeed even with much larger doses than your dog took.

3. But of course if worse symptoms do set in or you become further concerned thenyou should have your dog checked over by an ER vet without delay just to be on the safe side.

4. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My dog is about 60 lbs. could not get her to throw up. We will watch her. Ty very much

Hello again,

Just keep an eye on her for present, the chances are that this is not so serious. However I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Ambien incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Hope,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Beanie.. How is everything going?