Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Our 7 yr old 100 lb shep/lab/elkhound mix has had reverse

Customer Question

Our 7 yr old 100 lb shep/lab/elkhound mix has had reverse sneezing for several months. At the end of a reverse sneezing bout she sneezes outward several times and has a light blood spray or occasionally a tiny blod clot. We have had her to the vet. Several times, she has been x rayed, been on several rounds of antibiotics and had one of the clots analyzed...all negative. Any suggestion on what else we could try? We have also tried Zyrtec which did not help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that your girl is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

You mention that she has had x rays and they were negative for any findings. The next step since we are seeing blood and occasional clots would be to have a rhinoscopy done which is a scoping of the nasal passages. This will allow them to look for any polyps or even small foreign objects such as a fox tail( grass seed) that may be stuck in the nose. These are often missed on x rays. Going in with a scope will also allow them to take a very small biopsy that can be tested for bacterial or fungal infection as well as any abnormal cells.

Using a nasal saline solution such as little noses made for infants 2 drops in each nostril 1-2 times per day may also help.

Reverse sneezing is more often caused by something that irritates the soft pallet or throat rather then the nose, the sneezing afterwards and blood tells us we need to do more diagnostics on the nasal passages itself rather then looking at soft pallet/ throat irritation as the cause.

I hope this makes sense and gives you some additional direction. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating to end our session.

Candy