Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts
My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Mixie ate a flower stem. Do you know what kind of flower she ate? This is important because some flowers are poisonous and some are not.
If you do not know what kind of flower it was, you may want to consider making her vomit. You can give 1 to 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide by mouth and this should cause her to vomit in 5 to 10 minutes.
Please let me know what kind of flower it is so that we can determine if Mixie is at risk this evening.
So, if she ate the flower stem about 10 hours ago (does that sound right?) vomiting will not be useful for her. The most important thing would be to see if you can identify the type of flower she ate.
The flowers that I am most worried about are lilies. These can cause kidney failure and can often be fatal if not treated.
If the flowers are not a type of lily, then the most common side effect from eating most decorative flowers is vomiting and diarrhea. If she has not already had vomiting and diarrhea, she will likely not develop any later.
To be sure, you can take her to your regular vet in the morning and they can run blood work to check her kidneys.
Does this help? What other questions do you have?
How is Moxie this evening? Any vomiting or diarrhea after eating the flower stem? Do you have any more questions for me?
Also, if you would please consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.