Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My male dog is whining and is not eating very much and there

Customer Question

Customer: my male dog is whining and is not eating very much and there is water coming out of her when she walk
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: him when he walks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: k
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
theres a female dog living next door could that be the problem .we are seeing drops of water around the house on the floor like dribbles of pee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is a 2 year old german sheppard
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi jacustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is he drinking more water than normal?

Dogs normally drink about a cup of water for ever 8 pounds of body weight each day.

Is he urinating more often?

Is there an odor to his urine?

You indicate that he is dribbling.

Do you know if the female next door could be in heat?

Is the liquid clear or orangish?

Is his posture normal or is he arching his back at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The water is clear and he is like hunched over like hes hanging his head down and when we put him out he runs over next door he never done that before there is no odor from it

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

It could be two different things. One could be abnormal behavior as the result of there being a female in heat nearby. Male dogs will often stop eating or seriously reduce the amount they are eating. They will whine and want to get to the female. They will often dry hump or walk hunched and even drip a little. Sometimes they even drip a little blood. So you might want to take a walk to your neighbors to see if their female is in heat. If she is, perhaps you could keep him inside more and spray some febreeze around the doorways and windows to cut down on the odor. We can't smell it but he will be able to.

If she is not in heat, then he may have a urinary tract infection. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, frequent urination, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake.

A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. You have one symptom which is dribbling possible urine but I don't know if he has other symptoms. His hunched posture could also indicate abdominal pain which he might have if he has a UTI or crystals in the urine. So if she isn't in heat, I'd have him seen by your vet to look for abdominal pain possibly related to a kidney issue.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/