Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I really need help right now. My cocker spaniel will be 13

Customer Question

Customer: Hello, My name is Elois ***** ***** and I really need help right now. My cocker spaniel will be 13 in March. Her eyes were really cloudy about 3 weeks ago and I took her to the vet. They said that she had a bacterial infection and put her on antibiotics and prednisone, along with some drops for her eyes. She seemed to be doing well, and right after Christmas (this past Monday). I had to take her back because she was lethargic and not eating much.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, I forgot. Her lymph nodes were swollen on the first visit. I thought we should see how the medicine would work before doing bloodwork. When I took her back on Monday, she got bloodwork on and all her levels were fine. They said they couldn't find anything and referred me to a specialist. She was dehydrated and they gave her IV. I have been feeding her Pedialite with a dropper because she won't eat. Tonight, she seems to be trying to pass something. All that comes out is yellow liguidy stuff. There seems to be something very hard right at the opening. I think I have given you everything. The only thing that I thought might have caused this was my dishwasher overran a couple of weeks before the first visit. I keep the dog food under the counter. When I looked under there I didn't see any water. However, a week or so later there was mold in the bag that I had been feeding her out of. I freaked out and told the vet about it. Well, I realized this past Tuesday that there is actually a leak under there. I threw that bag away also. I told the vet this but they didn't seem to be worried about it. fine. She is very week and still won't eat, but will take the pedialyte.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, I'll wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I also forgot to mention the eyedrops are Tobramycin and she has been acting as if she can't see and they are very red. The first antibiotic was Amoxicillin I think, and now she is on Metronidazole 250 mg. They also gave her Mirtazapine to make her eat. She ate some chicken that I boiled for her yesterday, but won't eat anything today.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for requesting me. I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Cocker spaniel.

I am sorry I was not online until now so I did not see your request. I am also sorry to say that I can't make phone calls for the website; I can only chat in this format. If you would like a phone call, I can opt out and you can wait for an expert who can make calls.

Let me know what you want to do, and how your dog is doing. Were any eye tests done, such as using a green dye on them, testing the tear production with small white strips, or testing the pressure in her eyes? Do you have a copy of her blood tests?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Rebecca,
Can you chat now?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Rebecca, I had to go to work today. This morning before I left, she was very weak and sleeping. I gave her Pedialyte again. I am going to check on her at lunch. I don't have a copy of the blood tests. They did put some drops in her eyes for tear production. I was wondering if you could chat now.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I had to go to work today, too. I am home for the rest of the evening and don't have to go to work tomrrow.