Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I'm ***** ***** and my issue is regarding my dog,

Customer Question

Customer: I'm ***** ***** and my issue is regarding my dog, something's wrong but I don't know if its a simple stomachache or something worse
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yesterday morning she was fine - running, playing, eating but yesterday afternoon she just curled up in her crate and I couldn't even get her to respond to her favorite treat. She whimpered when I tried to pick her up, when she did get up and walk to the door she walked very slowly and timidly. She slept for 5 hours then got up last night and ate and ran around like crazy then this morning shes back to not feeling well. I've massaged every bone and joint and massaged down her spine but none of that seemed to bother her. If it was a kid, I'd say maybe kidney stones or constipation where she let me massage her back and joints pretty hard
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Ya that's fine
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She's a 6.5 year old Shiba Inu, she did have a slight disk problem about 2 years ago but the vet checked and said the disk appeared to be back to normal at our last check up. My bed is pretty tall she likes to jump on, could a hurt disk in her back cause this?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She's now starting to favor her front-left paw, her back is hunched when she walks and shes sleeping on her stomach instead of on her side like normal
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Her previous history, vocalizing when lifted, "hunch" in her back, and favoring a front limb strongly suggests a cervical (neck) disk. This wouldn't be the same disk as two years ago but another area where a disk has degenerated. Her favoring a front limb is likely to be a dorsal root signature sign indicative of compression of the dorsal root of the nerve originating from the nearby vertebral segment. Her vet can perform hyperflexion/hyperextension testing on your dog's neck to see if pain can be induced. If a disk is suggested, conservative care would involve rest and exercise restriction, a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol and perhaps a skeletal muscle relaxer such as diazepam or methobarbamol.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?