Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have my dog at the vet. He has been in there since

Customer Question

I have my dog at the vet. He has been in there since Wednesday. He had low red blood count at 15%. They have had him on steroids and another medication. This morning his red blood count is at 12% and now his white blood count is elevated. Dr. Says he is worried he has something growing inside of him that they can not treat. He is eating and drinking and using the bathroom like he is suppose to do. Before I had taken him to vet he was getting excited and would just faint and then would come too. He is my 9 yr. old big baby. He is a puggle. Is there anything else this may be I don't just want my baby to continue to go down hill.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Spud's condition....I know this is scary!

Your vet needs to do testing if this has not been done.The possibilities for this decrease in red blood cells is the following:

Kidney or liver disease

Bleeding splenic tumor

Autoimmune Hemolytic anemia

Infectious process.

Make sure your vet runs Xrays and Ultrasounds to rule out a tumor that can be removed. Have them run an autoimmune profile blood test along with a complete blood panel including chemistries to rule out an autoimmune disease and/or kidney or liver disease. If this is an autoimmune hemolytic disease , this will require other medications such as Cyclosporine as an immune suppression medication.

Spud is getting to a dangerous point that he may require a blood transfusion but it is extremely important that the diagnostics be run on sweet Spud so the correct treatment can be given. Many of these possibilities on the differential list do have treatments that can be curative or at least stop this process and ease his discomfort.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. But why do you think his white blood count is high now and it wasn't 3 days ago.

The immune suppression caused by the steroids can allow invading factors to enter causing an infection which, in turn, increases the white blood cell count. When giving the steroids, we often add in a prophylactic antibiotic to guard against infection.I am not sure your vet did this but check.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They are giving him prednisone and something else for three days. It has dropped 3% in 3 days if it will work how long does it take to see improvement in the red blood cell count.

It should only take a day or 2...there should not be any decrease however. Whatever is causing this is not responding to this medication. Have them run other diagnostics if it has not been done to know for sure.