Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Our mini dachund got into the trash 2 days ago and ate

Customer Question

Our mini dachund got into the trash 2 days ago and ate something bad, this was two day ago.He has been puking and the last 10 hours has been green bile. He shakes for hours after he pukes.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning AShley and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your guys condition. Since this has caused a digestive disturbance, the treatment for this is as follows:

Fast your guy for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting has resolved, then wean your guy back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your guy to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction or Pancreatitis.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this makes sense to me. Thank you for your advice, as I will try this and see how it goes.

Excellent...I hope your sweet guy feels better soon!