Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 7 year Boxer who has a heart murmur and has

Customer Question

I have a 7 year Boxer who has a heart murmur and has ingested juice from a barbecue pit. He has loss of appetite and is lathargic. At 9 months old this pet had a bout of panitenesis and was lamb for 2 months. He has loss weight and is walkin gap legged now. What can I do to help him now?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Did you mean he had pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) before?

Is he drinking and can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Bandit had signs for 6 days
He had Panosteitis
He is drinking and keeping it down and drinking lots of it. Also has eaten 2 slices of wheat bread
Gums are pink and somewhat sticky
When pressing stomach no pain
No diarrhea.
He is having problems with leg steadiness and not eating his food. His food is Iams
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
His condition looks similar to when he was 9 mos old and we had to help him stand up daily
I have another boxer his brother Mikey who played. a role in his recovery by encouraging Bandit to try and run even though he was still falling down. He wanted to keep up with him.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if he is reacting to what he ingested, then his previous issue won't have any bearing on this current situation. Instead, we'd be more concerned that we have weakness/lethargy due to his anorexia and not getting in any nutrition here. And I would note pancreatitis is something we commonly see in these situations as well as gastroenteritis.

In that case, we'd want to see if can settle his stomach to get him eating for us. In regard to doing that, we can try him on an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

If he can keep that down and settles, we'd then want to start a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, Panosteitis would not be triggered by the situation you have reported with Bandit. Instead, this is more suggestive of gastroenteritis or pancreatitis. Therefore, we'd want to start the above at this stage to see if we can get him settled. Of course, if we cannot and we see other signs of dehydration (ie sunken eyes, skin tenting) on top of those sticky gums, then we'd need to have him seen by his local vet to confirm our suspicions and start him on injectable anti-nausea medication, gut safe pain relief, and appetite stimulants to get him back to eating for us.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate me afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )