Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Baby girl is overweight and nd quarters are giving out and

Customer Question

Baby girl is overweight and hind quarters are giving out and in pain but need help with these questions. Vet gave cortisone shot and suggested getting osteo bi-flex for my dog but not sure about the triple strength ,d3, 5 loxin, and manganese, vit c, joint shield, all the additional options..? Also been told fish oil and not sure the epa dose if she is 70lbs. Does she need vitamin E with fish oil and what mg if so. One more question, do you know what the medication/solution is called that some vets use for multiple things, wound care, including for the ears or wounds in general.... its a yellow greasy smelly fluid. Vet gave her for ears Itching and cist on foot but I can't find the name to purchase more. Also was told there is a herbal product called hindquarter weakness but I can't find it. would you know the name or suggestions. thanks dear friend for helping me
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Baby Girl. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I see she is overweight. Losing weight will help her arthritis more than any medication or supplement; are you trying to help her lose weight?

I would give her enough fish oil for her to get at least 500 mg of Omega 3s (DHA and EPA) daily. Vitamin E would be fine, about 100 to 200 unit a day.

The yellow liquid you are asking about may be known as Panalog, or Animax, or Enterderm. They are all the same, a combination of steroids and antibitoics. You do need a prescription from a veterinarian to get it.

The chondrotin, glucosamine, manganese, etc in the osteo biflex should all be safe in a dog her size, but I would give about 1/2 the dose recommended for adults. 5 - Loxin has not been tested in dogs, but I could not find anything saying it is a problem or toxic to dogs. You might consider a product made just for dogs, such as Dasaquin as a joint supplement.

If she is in pain, I might try her on prescription pain medication like tramadol and nonsteroidal anti inflammatory meds made just for dogs like Rimadyl or Metacam or Previcox. You can give these with steroids, so you would have to wait until the steroid injection wears off.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay so are you saying 500 milligrams of the fish oil right, i dont kno much about all that omega 3 stuff or any if this really. Sorry. and also is the vitamin e not necessary to break down the glucose .. or wait maybe it was to break down the fish oil...yeah. ;). someone said it was but I just want to be sure cuz I want to give less as possible .also the yellow liquid stuff it is made by the Amish people...? so I don't think it is a prescription one ...not 100% tho, having trouble finding it,
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

No, not 500 mg of fish oil: you have to read the "fine print" and give 500 mg of the Omega 3s (add up the mg of DHA and EPA). For instance, at my office we carry a fish oil for dog that says 2000 mg of fish oil, but on the label it says there is 300 mg of EPA and 300 mg of DHA so there is 600 mg of Omega 3s. It is the Omega 3s that are beneficial for arthritis.

Vitamin E does not break down fish oil or glucose, but it is anti inflammatory.

Do you mean this: http://www.amazon.com/Amish-Origins-Penetrating-Relief-Ointment/dp/B004JCHLAC

Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I helped you today. You can still ask more questions after rating, so let me know what else I can help with.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

How is Baby Girl? Can I help with or answer anything else?