petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Is this free advice
, golden retriever about 90 lbs has

Customer Question

Customer: is this free advice
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: golden retriever about 90 lbs has lost weight in last few weeks.....started being fussy with kibbles foo so we bought canned the other day..now today he won't eat canned..he will take bread... i think he threw up( we have 2 goldens)
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Can you tell me how old your dog is?

Are his stools formed?

Has he been examined by your vet for this yet?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8 yr old golden retriever..feels thinner and looks thinner in last few weeks.
our other 3 y/o golden ate his dry kibble food..which we just discovered.
So 8 y/o older dog will eat people food and ate some canned food once but now only people food..and is so picky..stools look darker and have some form. He is quiet and very lethargic compared his normal self. called the vet here on the phone and they suggested pepto bismol....we will go today and get some..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can pain, like arthritic ailments greatly impact on dogs appetite?. This refusing to eat dog food is just in last week. i can feel his ribs now and he was always had a fatty girth.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, arthritis can affect a dogs appetite, but I would be worried that there may be something more going on with this degree of weight loss and muscle wasting. If he is not eating normally (even if he is still drinking), he is likely dehydrated by now which will contribute to his gaunt appearance and his anorexia. I would not feel comfortable with just offering pepto bismol when you don't know the cause of his inappetence and it has been going on for so long now.

If he seems painful, there are medications that can be prescribed to help with that, but I would not offer any over the counter type pain meds as many are not safe for use in dogs or can lead to GI upset, which at this point is not what he needs. I would recommend that you have him examined at the earliest you can and perhaps have some bloodwork run to see if there may be a medical reason for his refusal to eat.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z