petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

This is a two part question. My boxer Had surgery yesterday

Customer Question

This is a two part question. My boxer Had surgery yesterday to have a tooth extracted. He still hasn't really eaten at all (but shows interest, tries to bite). He is drinking now water but he throws up. The lady who answered when I called the vet said it could be im letting him drink too much and he's still having effects of anesthesia (surgery was around 12:30 yesterday) my first question is, is that a plausible explanation? My next question: he went outside and pooped for the first time in two days (he had nothing in his stomach, has been peeing fine the whole time) I checked it to make sure it wasn't black or bloody (it is a very dark brown) and found a few of these stringy things in it. My question is: are they worms? Something that was sitting in his stomach for a few days and just came out?? I need to know if I need to take him to the emergency clinic or not. Thank you!
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Murph today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

I see that Murph is a very young dog. Why was he having a tooth extracted? Was it a retained puppy tooth? or a fractured adult tooth? Do you know what tooth it was? Canine? Molar?

Were there sutures applied?

Was he sent home with any pain medications?

Did he have any pre-anesthetic blood testing performed? Did he have any other procedures performed?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He snapped his tooth off, we think he was trying to get out of his crate. Yes he had sutures applied, and he was sent home with tramadol and amoxicillin. He had an entire pre-anesthesia blood panel performed and everything was good. My main concerns are: is that a worm I found (see pictures) and why is he vomitting. Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was his front lower canine on his left side.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 11 months ago.

OK, thank you for the reply.

Some pets will vomit after anesthesia, but it is usually in the first 12 hours, not later. It is possible the amoxicillin is upsetting his GI tract or the tramadol. Antibiotics (AB) more frequently bother them than pain meds, but either would be possible. I think if you can get him to eat something before he gets the, it may go over better. Try offering a small bit of something very soft and easy to chew like a scrambled egg and then offer his meds if he eats. It sounds like his mouth may be a little sore still so if I had to choose, I would give the tramadol first and see if that helps to get him eating.

As far what you saw in his stool, they do not look like worms to me. I am not sure what they would be, but they are too small for roundworms and too large for tapeworm segments. I would continue to monitor his stool for a few days and see if it persists and if so, have your vet examine a stool sample.

If you can get him to eat, even a little, and keep it down, I don't think he needs ER services, but if the vomiting continues, I would advise that you consider it. Try to limit his water intake to small amounts at a time to avoid that irritating his stomach as well.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He won't eat anything I've tried even with the tramadol. He tried to bite some hamburger today and just gave up. He is starting to look like skin and bones. Will he be able to eat without pain in a few days?
Expert:  petdrz. replied 11 months ago.

It is hard to say. Tramadol by itself is not the most effective pain medication. The fact that he is trying to that then gives up makes it seem like it could all be related to pain. Best course of action would be the ER then to evaluate, get some additonal pain meds on board and maybe offer some fluid therapy to hopefully jump start his eating.