Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 8 year old lab/German Shepard passed away a few hours

Customer Question

My 8 year old lab/German Shepard passed away a few hours ago. He was active and healthy yesterday. He appeared sluggish today, but ate a full breakfast. I note send he was drinking more water then usual. He happily went outside to potty at bedtime, but then collapsed in the yard. He had some labored breathing for s few minutes then passed away. I feel I want to find out why he died.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensedveterinarian and I would like to help you.

Had his belly been distended, hard or painful at all?

Were his gums pale/white?

Any access to toxins, medications, or chemicals?

Any chance Rocco could have eaten anything non-edible?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No none of the above
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

Based on the lack of those signs, we can rule out a few issues that could have caused Rocco's sudden passing. Still, even with those aside, we have to appreciate that his sudden decline could have been related to a few others. Specifically, this situation fits with heart disease (which can be silent until causing death, especially if they experience a fatal arrhythmia), a bleeding tumor (ie spleen, heart based, gut based, etc), or related to shock secondary to a gut twist (less likely if he wasn't overly painful, but can cause a situation as the one you have described). And I would note that most of these could increased water intake as they decreased his blood pressure.

With all those in mind and to give you closure, I would note that it'd be ideal to have him taken to your local vet, vet lab, or vet school for an autopsy. That way we can have his body internally examined and samples taken to pinpoint which of the above was the trigger for his sudden passing.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you so much. He is at the vets now and they will be doing a basic necropsy. I appreciate the services you provide. Rocco was my "four legged soul mate" He was best dog ever.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Hopefully their necropsy will help us pinpoint what triggered this without warning and give you closure for his loss.

Please take care,

Dr. B