How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 28033
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate about a cup and half of shelled black walnuts

Customer Question

my dog ate about a cup and half of shelled black walnuts about 1 hour ago
She seems ok, but I just found out they can cause problems. Should I do something
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The black walnuts aren't toxic to dogs. Should there be a mold growing on them - there's no reason to believe that they're moldy - a toxin produced by the mold can affect Annie. Here's the ASPCA information concerning this unlikely toxicity: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/black-walnut/ I see no reason to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Annie may experience transient gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea - from ingesting so much of an unusual food but toxicity shouldn't occur.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.