Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Whom It May Concern: I have a 10.5 month old basset hound,

Customer Question

Whom It May Concern:
I have a 10.5 month old basset hound, Gracie, and while rubbing her belly tonight I noticed that one nipple is redder than the others. This nipple isn't swollen at all and isn't sensitive to touch, just bright pink/red.
She has been playing with the neighbor's dachshunds today, so is it possible that it could just be irritated? She was spayed at 6-months and it was determined she was nearly in heat then, as her vagina was starting to swell, but she had not yet began a cycle.
Should I be concerned about mammary cancer? The "c" word terrifies me, as I lost my 5-year old basset, Oliver, to lymphoma this year.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Gracie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I am sorry to hear about your loss of Oliver. My sincere condolences.

It would be extremely rare for a dog Gracie's age to have mammary cancer, and even more rare since she was spayed at 6 months. It highly unlikely this is cancer.

It may be irritated, or the nipple could be infected. You could try applying some anti inflammatory ointment such as Cortaid or Cortizone 10 once to twice daily, and see if the redness goes down. If the nipple is not painful, and if she is eating and drinking well, she will probably be fine.

Let me know if this helps and if I can answer anything else about her.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you are able to see my answer!

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I helped you today. Please let me know how she is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Gracie doing? Was my answer helpful or is there anything else I can answer? I hope I allayed your fears about C*****!