PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My Bichon is was spayed three months ago. She is 8 1/2

Customer Question

My Bichon is was spayed three months ago. She is 8 1/2 months. We had a vet do this. She is drinking and eating normally and as playful as ever. When she has urinated today, since we have snow, I have noticed a few drops of red blood after she urinates. This started today. She does not lick the area and it appears to be a bright red color. I only see this when she is posturing to urinate. Does this sound like a UTI or spaying problem?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hi Kinta,

Any blood present from her spay should no longer be bright red in color. This is suggestive of a urinary tract infection with the bright red blood you're seeing. In fact, bichons are pretty commonly afflicted with urinary issues. There's more info for you here: http://bichonhealth.org/HealthInfo/UrinaryStones.htm

The best approach for Kippi is to take her to the vet, ask them to perform a urinalysis and determine what is causing the blood. If she's still urinating and acting playful, as you describe, there's no need to rush to the ER vet this evening; this can wait for tomorrow.

Depending on what is found on her urinalysis, antibiotics and/or a diet change may be needed. I've seen puppies as young as 6 months who've battled urinary crystals and chronic UTI's. If this does just turn out to be a minor infection, do talk to your vet about a PREVENTIVE diet to reduce Kippi's risk of problems. Many bichons, with time, will wind up with urinary stones and the majority of the major cases will require expensive surgery. A preventive diet can save you thousands in the long run.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to positively rate my service. If you have questions that remain, reply and I will help you further. Best of luck with Miss Kippi <3

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kippi. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy