Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is a 16 year old cockapoo.She recently went blind

Customer Question

My dog is a 16 year old cockapoo.She recently went blind because of cataracts. I had blood work and x-rays done. The vet found nothing wrong.All organs functioning no diabetes. She sleeps all the time will not eat and only drinks water when I take her to the bowl.She is wasting away.HELP!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Brittany. Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com. I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

There are many life-threatening disorders that don't show up in blood work or X-rays. For example, primary cancers of the gastrointestinal tract (lymphoma, e.g.) and spleen (hemangiosarcoma) might only be detected with ultrasound or even surgical exploration. Disorders of the central nervous system might require cerebrospinal fluid analysis and MRI to detect them. That being said, I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that whatever is found is going to be life-threatening when a 16 year old is totally anorexic and wasting away.

Please respond with the additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Brittany. How is everything going?