How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Candy Your Own Question
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 11613
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Candy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog found a dead rat and had it in her mouth. I 't know

Customer Question

Customer: My dog found a dead rat and had it in her mouth. I don't know if she ate any of it. The rat probably died from eating poison. The rat had been dead for a long time and was all dried up. Will it harm my dog?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just want to know if my dog has eaten any of the rat (maybe it's tail) will it be harmful to my dog. She is a small Corgi- Rat Terrier.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that you are worried about your dog. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 27 years. I would be happy to help.

Secondary toxicity due to eating rats that die due to poison is almost unheard of. That is because the LD 50 for dogs is going to be much higher then it is for a rat, basically meaning that a rat even if they did ingest poison would not have enough poison in its body to be considered life threatening to a dog.

The fact that the rat had been dead long enough to mummify it is highly unlikely that there is active poison in the system.

If she ate the whole rat then you could see some digestive upset but it does not sound like that is what has happened here. If she only ingested the tail then I would not expect to see any complications at all.

If you do have poison out for the rats I would just be very sure that there is no chance the dog can get to it. Rat terriers are of course a hunting breed so they tend to get in to all kinds of things.

Your girl should be just fine.

I hope this helps ease your mind. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to continue.

Candy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.