PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Would there be any benefit to breeding my labradoodle uti's?

Customer Question

Would there be any benefit to breeding my labradoodle for recurrent uti's? She is 7 mos old and is now being treated for her 4th.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Margie,

Breeding her is unlikely to solve the recurring UTI issue. The stress will likely cause her to have another bout while she's pregnant and/or raising her young and you may have to hand-raise the puppies if things become bad enough for her. Very few medications are approved for usage during pregnancy and nursing puppies, and there are many chronic problems puppies can acquire from exposure to medications like those needed for UTI treatment. It would be highly advisable to wait until the UTI's have been cleared for 3+ months before choosing to breed her.

That being said, if this is a chronic issue for her it may be worth having a laboratory urinalysis and culture performed on her urine. If the Royal Canin doesn't do the trick for acidifying her urine, your vet can put her on a daily supplement to do the job instead. Additionally, some females have recurrent UTI issues because problematic anatomy (such as prominent external tissue that folds over the vulva and makes for a breeding ground of bacteria).

Ideally, if you are planning to breed her, you will wait until she is a little older. 7 months is too young for a puppy to become a mother. We like to see bitches around 2 before they have their first litter. We want to be sure they're done growing before we put the stress of raising babies on them.

If my answer has helped you, please leave a positive rating for my service. If questions remain, please reply and I'll be happy to help you further.