Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Pomeranian started dry coughing and hacking last night

Customer Question

My Pomeranian started dry coughing and hacking last night like she was trying to throw up. It would go on for 15-20 minutes then she would sleep for hours with no cough and when she woke up it started again
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did she bring anything up?

Any chance she has eaten anything abrasive or non-edible that could have inflamed her throat?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nothing has come up and she hasn't eaten anything like that at least not that I have seen
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

I am glad that isn't the case for Lola. Since she isn't likely to have ingested something worrisome, our main concerns would be a brewing upper airway infection (ie Parainfluenza, Bordatella) or possible tracheitis (viral or bacterial). In this case, we do need to tread with care since our bacterial concerns often require antibiotic to settle.

Still to soothe her throat at the moment, we can start her on a mild cough suppressant. Pet safe options we often use are Glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing and can be given at a dose of 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, we can use Robitussin DM. Of course, if you use this, we only want to use this one with Dextromethorphan +/- Guaifenesin. Avoid similar syrups with dog toxic drugs (ie Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine, etc). Dose-wise, you can give 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce throat irritation and coughing for Lola. As well, soft foods can also reduce irritation in the throat.

Overall, we do have a few concerns with her signs. Still, for the moment, we can use the above to try to soothe her throat and see if we can settle her for the moment. Of course, if this lingers, then we'd want to plan a check with her vet so that antibiotics can be dispensed if needed.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. She was outside in the colder air while I was doing this for about 10-15 minutes and came in better. Not sure if thecair helped or she got it up but if it continues we will see the vet. Thanks!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome,

Best wishes to you both,

Dr. B.