Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Labrador has been feeling under the weather the last

Customer Question

my Labrador has been feeling under the weather the last couple of days, last night he couldnt stand on his back legs, but during the night got up, walked & into kitchen & had diarrhoea on the foor, but this morning he can't get up again, not even for food!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. How old is your Lab, please? His inability to rise from a prone position needs to be clarified by his vet. For instance, is he overall too weak to do so? Is it too painful to do so such as might be seen with severe hip dysplasia or the cauda equina syndrome? Is he partially paralyzed by a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder)? His vet needs to perform a thorough physical exam and neurologic exam on your Lab. Conscious proprioception (knowing where his legs are in space) and, most important, nociception (deep pain perception) need to be assessed in such a patient in order to give you a reliable prognosis for his recovery. Time is of the essence in these dogs and so I encourage your having him attended to at your earliest convenience.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.