Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog was accidentally given a spoiled marrow bone. The

Customer Question

My dog was accidentally given a spoiled marrow bone. The next day he has been lethargic and wimpering. We took him to the vet xmas eve. He was given antibiotics 2x a day and a powder to sprinkle over his food once a day. As of yesterday we noticed that it appears to be something wrong more on the right side of his mouth, his right eye is red and droppy. Nose is dripping.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You appear to be describing facial nerve paralysis in Coal. The symptoms of facial paralysis may include a rapid onset of drooling from one side of the mouth, inability to blink, apparent ear droop and occasionally deviation of the nose away from the affected side, and food may collect in the affected commissure of the lips which results in halitosis. In most cases this is an idiopathic (unknown cause) disorder of facial nerve VII. The main goal of treatment is to prevent corneal ulceration. No special therapy is indicated for the remaining manifestations of facial paralysis. Sterile lubricant ophthalmic ointment should be applied to the affected eye(s) at least every 6-8 hours to prevent exposure keratitis and corneal ulceration.

It's important that Coal's vet performs a neurologic evaluation to rule out other common cuases of facial nerve dysfunction. It's an unusual finding in such a young dog. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Amy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Coal. How is everything going?