Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

The mom had her last baby at 2 pm in her litter. She chewed

Customer Question

The mom had her last baby at 2 pm in her litter. She chewed the umbilical cord completely off. We stopped the bleeding but there appears to be a small opening. What can we do to help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jacustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

If there is an open hole, then the pup might not survive. Often if the hole is too large, the intestines will start to work their way into that opening. The opening will also allow bacteria to enter the body which will lead to infection. I've been in a similar situation and euthanasia was recommended. Even if they can close the opening up, a newborn pup may still expire from the infection. If you keep the pup with the mother, then she may lick and worry the umbilical area so much as to open the whole even larger until the intestines are on the outside and then the chance of survival is poor even if they are disinfected and replaced.

If the pup is to have a chance of survival with an open wound at the umbilical site, you would need to have the pup seen as soon as possible and likley have it surgically closed. You would then need to watch the pup closely even after that when the pup is around it's mom. I wished I had better news. The hole will also create a hernia as well which will need to be surgically corrected as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mentioned additional information needed. What can I provide for you?

I apologize, I was going to ask how large the hole was and if mom was bothering the pup at all. Usually moms don't let a pup keep bandages, etc. on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hole is small right now but you're right. Mom continually removes the bandage.

If you get the pup to a vet, they MAY put a few stitches in to keep it closed and maybe some antibiotics. You would still need to watch mom around the stitches but the pup would have a better chance. In many cases, the vet will just recommend euthanasia if it is all the way through.