Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Our shittzu buddy has been sick a week now he's not eating

Customer Question

Our shittzu buddy has been sick for over a week now he's not eating and drinking very little . He is old not sure exactly how old , if I had to guess he's ariund 12 yrs old . He has a history of hurniading discs , we have meds for that but we can't get him to take them he forces himself to throw up when we put them down his throat , tried to put them on some lunch meat and he just turns his head . He doesn't seem to be in any pain but all he does is lay and sleep . He has lost so much of his weight it breaks my heart . I don't want to put him down but we also font want him to suffer , if we can't get him to drink more how long can he go without food and water ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.

You can't wait. It's already 1 week, which means even if there is no pain, he is nauseated and his quality of life is poor. You need to get him in for at least basic testing, and some really good medication to help the digestive tract. If you don't take some good steps to help the stomach, then he will continue to decline regardless of the primary cause. No different than a person, Buddy could possibly last for days or even weeks with no food or water, but it will be horrible for him.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
To help stimulate the thirst you can try offering gatorade, pedialyte, or even adding canned tuna juice to the water (make sure to change frequently). Wish I could do more but best information I can throw out there.