Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My seven year old Puggle, Emma, is exhibiting odd

Customer Question

My seven year old Puggle, Emma, is exhibiting odd behaviors/symptoms. She can't seem to get comfortable and will circle around, lay down, then hop back up again. She will pant very heavily for no obvious reason. She shakes in her back legs for periods of time when inhaling. Not too interested in drinking and isn't eating much. She's vomited twice today and both times it's had a horrific smell. Should I take her to the ER vet or wait for an appointment tomorrow.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She will eat ice chips (she's always loved them) but isn't interested in food or treats (which is odd).
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

It does sound like she is having great discomfort,though to diagnose something like that she would need a hands on exam. The fact that she is not eating or actively drinking, is vomiting, panting and shaking would warrant a vet visit today.

Panting and shaking are signs of pain, if there is problems with breathing or seemingly painful breathing that alone would warrant a vet visit.

Vomiting is a generalized illness, that may not be so concerning, but you are also stating that there seems to be a problem with breathing, which could mean that when she vomited something could have aspirated into her lungs. If it were my dog I would have Emma seen today.

Below is a chart on what is normal in dogs, including gum color, capillary refill, temp, heart rate etc. to help you to decide if you should seek help today as it is a decision only you can make.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/nursing-care-for-sick-dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs-heart-rate-breathing-rate-and-temperature

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Emma. How is everything going?
Sally G.