Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog just atea lyrica100mg. 30 min. Ago. What to do?

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarianand I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He weight is 7 and 1/2 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Now this is much too high a dose for him and we could see this cause severe sedation, lethargy, wobbliness, and weakness.

Now if you are struggling to get him to take the peroxide, you will either need to muzzle him and slide a dropper/syringe/turkeybaster between his cheek and teeth to get this into him. Otherwise, we can try adding it to milk to see if he will drink it. Remember the dose is 1ml per pound of his weight and can be used up to 3 times to induce vomiting.

Otherwise, we may need to have him to the local vet (or ER vet) now so that they can bypass his mouth and give apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Or you could also use activated charcoal. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed and will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, this is a severe and dangerous dose for him. Therefore, we'd need to use the above here if he won't take the peroxide when you tried before. And if you are struggling and since it is such a high dose, if you cannot do the above, then its advisable to have him seen urgently for apomorphine to avoid harm here.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)