Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Marsha.
, 8 month old male german shepherd, fluid

Customer Question

Customer: Marsha.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 8 month old male german shepherd, fluid filled pouch beneath his jowls, holds his mouth tightly shut, started yesterday. Dry hot nose, no energy
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for requesting me. Do you know if the dog may have played rough and traumatized that area?

Is he holding his mouth shut because you are trying to look in there?

will he still take interest in food and water?

hello, it seems you have gone off line and I will be heading off shortly as well. There are three possibilities here. A soft squishy lump under the jaw area could be due to trauma, a swollen salivary gland (which can be caused by trauma) or an infection from a tooth or other injury.

If the dog is not eating or drinking, acting listless, or has a fever, then it is time to make a vet visit. An infection would need antibiotics which can only be has by a Vet.

here is more in the salivary glands.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/mouth/c_multi_salivary_mucocele