Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

, My dog has a hot spot, gave m Benadryl he is 80 lbs 1

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog has a hot spot , gave him Benadryl he is 80 lbs 1 - 25 tab. shaved, what can I put on it ? heard lotrimin antifungal but not sure
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

A hot spot is a dermatitis such as staph dermatitis or yeast dermatitis. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition though it does not cure the allergy. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears and often in the area in front of the tail if a dog is licking and gnawing on the area due to fleas. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet.

Now for hot spots many owners will shave the area, disinfect it with a mild betadine solution and apply witch hazel, neosporin or triple antibiotic cream. If it is a yeast dermatitis then you can also apply over the counter miconazole cream (found at the pharmacy). Lotimine can also be used as well as it is an anti-fungal as well.

With any skin dermatitis, you need to find the underlying cause though. Many hot spots in front of the tail are due to a flea allergy while others are due to other types of allergies or even mange mites.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/