Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I think my dog has an anal sac abscess-she's scooting her,

Customer Question

I think my dog has an anal sac abscess-she's scooting her butt, is very sensitive/tender at the tail area, and I can see a speck of blood at the opening. It's Christmas day, so my vet is unavailable. Do I need to get her to an emergency vet, or will she be okay to wait until tomorrow morning? She's eating normally, going to the bathroom normally, and is her normal energy level
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 27 years. I would be happy to help.

Anal gland abscess can be painful but they are not life threatening so yes this can wait until tomorrow. What you could do is try applying a warm compress to her bottom to help reduce swelling. If she is not on any other medications you can also give aspirin to help with pain. This is dosed at 5mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours. Give with food to help prevent stomach upset.

If you do give aspirin be sure to tell your vet when you see them tomorrow as this effects what types of medications your vet can give. If she is just tender and not overly painful then I would try to hold off on the aspirin unless you feel it is absolutely necessary simply because it can prevent your vet from giving dog specific anti inflammatory meds if they feel they are needed.

I hope this helps give you some direction and that she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to continue. Merry Christmas

Candy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.