Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

We just bought a puppy and the puppy is panting so heavy

Customer Question

We just bought a puppy and the puppy is panting so heavy it's making me nervous. I've had dogs my whole life and never seen a puppy pant like this even when she sleeps
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Puppies do tend to pant a lot especially when they first come to a new home. They pant when they are overheated, in stress, scared, etc. If she was not well socialized, then taken away from her mother and siblings and alone for the first time in her life, she will be panting a great deal. Also she is a double coated breed which will make her more suited for cooler weather. Depending on the temperature where she is at, that might have her panting a bit as well.

If the only symptom she has is panting, and she is eating drinking and eliminating good, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you still think it is excessive after a few days, you can mention it to your vet and he can check her over at her first checkup.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

I'm just following up on our conversation about Angel. How is everything going?