Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 5 lb chihuahua ate one of my daughter's vegan gentle

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my 5 lb chihuahua ate one of my daughter's vegan gentle prenatals and I am very concern cuz one of the ingredients I see is grape seed here is the full list of what is in it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Vitamin C (as calcium ascorbate) 100 mg 167%Vitamin D3 (as vegan cholecalciferol)(Vitashine® )1000 IU 250%Vitamin K2 [as natural 30 mcg 38%menaquinone-7 (MK-7)]Thiamin (as thiamin HCl) 0.75 mg 50%Riboflavin (as riboflavin USP) 0.425 mg 25%Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HC USP) 0.5 mg 25%Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) 100 mcg 1667%Biotin 200 mcg 67%Pantothenic acid (as D-calcium 10 mg 100%pantothenate)Calcium (as calcium (from mineralized 200 mg 20%seaweed) (Aquamin®) and calcium ascorbate)Iron (Ferronyl® Carbonyl Iron) 18 mg 100%Iodine (from kelp) 150 mcg 100%Magnesium (as magnesium oxide, 100 mg 25%magnesium aspartate andmagnesium glycinate)Zinc (as zinc oxide and 15 mg 100%zinc picolinate)Selenium (as selenomethionine 35 mcg 50%and sodium selenite)Chromium (as chromium 30 mcg 25%amino acid chelate)Molybdenum (as molybdenum 37.5 mcg 50%amino acid chelate)Inositol 50 mg ‡Sunflower lecithin (soy-free)(providing 150 mg ‡30 mg phosphatidycholine)Taurine 50 mg ‡Polygonum cuspidatum root extract 50 mg ‡(providing 25mg resveratrol)Maitake mushroom 16:1 extract(fruiting body) 10 mg ‡Vanadium (as vanadium 10 mcg ‡amino acid chelate)Whole Food Fruit, Veggie & Greens Blend: 250 mg ‡Broccoli sprout extract, acai fruit extract (Euterpe oleracea),lycium (goji) berry extract, citrus bioflavonoid complex (mixed citrus fruits), green cabbage floret concentrate,kale leaf, watercress leaf, alfalfa grass, bilberry fruit extract(25% anthocyanosides), grape seed & skin extract, wildblueberry extract, cranberry juice concentrate, raspberryextract, prune concentrate, strawberry concentrate, tartcherry concentrate and wild whole bilberry fruit extract
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: not sure if I should just take her to vet
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Noemi,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Good news! Having read through the ingredient list I would very much doubt if there is anything there which will be toxic in any way to dogs and there are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation other than just keeping an eye on the dog

2. Grapes can be a problem to dogs under certain circumstances but I have never found this to be a problem in the case grape seeds in supplements, this most likely because the manufacturing process will reduce any toxic elements. In any case the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Centre studies suggest that the lowest documented toxic dose was 10 to 12 fresh grapes in a 20 pound dog. Which would mean two to three grapes for a dog of your daughter's one's size, the amount of grape products in just one of these supplements is likely to be very much less than that.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for your quick response, I actually had problems with my computers was trying to get back to you guys to let you know that I discovered my chi did not eat the vitamin she tore it apart then left what appears to be the majority of the vitamin on the carpet ( I guess she did not like it) also I had read the part about grape seed not to be toxic so that took most of my fears away...thank you

Hello again Noemi,

No problem, very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your daughters's dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Noemi,

I am just checking back in to see how your Chihuahua is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the prenatal supplement ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?