Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 11 pound Chihuahua was diagnosed with a heart issue and

Customer Question

My 11 pound Chihuahua was diagnosed with a heart issue and that was why he was hacking coughing. The vet was supposed to have the report today. I live in Mexico and they are closed and no report. They gave him a small does of anti-inflammatory and diuretic which seemed to help We are out of meds and they are not open until Monday. What can I give my dog? He is 12 years old. Not sure about that but close. Baby aspirin
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this problem with Arturo and the inconvenient timing.

I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. Do you know what sort of heart issues he's been diagnosed with or is that information contained in the report?

2. What sort of report is your vet waiting to receive? The results of an ultrasound, perhaps?

3. Do you know why he was prescribed an anti-inflammatory since these drugs aren't commonly dispensed for heart patients?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb