Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My dogs paw got caught under a door he jerked it out and it

Customer Question

My dogs paw got caught under a door he jerked it out and it seems like it pulled he nail hard to the point it's bleeding and I can see it looks a little more exposed... The nail is still solidly in and not hanging off... What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

HI this is drb and I would be happy to help you with this. First if he pulled it enough to make it bleed then he has carcked it somewhere at the base of the nail. These need to be cut back by a veterinary professional with a tranquilizer and then treated with antibiotics and pain medicines. For now in order to make it stop bleeding you can apply cornstarch to wherever it is bleeding and hold pressure on it. But you will have to get him in soon to see a vet or this could get infected. I hope this helps you. If you need further help let me know as I check my computer each night. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's not cracked I was able to check and I have attached picture so you can see what I mean... The nail looks more like it got pulled out rather then cracked.... It didn't bleed a lot and it stopped easily.... He also will put pressure on the paw... Do you really think it's something for the vet? Also how should I clean it... Alchol ok?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
while it got pulled... I want to be clear it's not even close to pulled out and does not appear weak or loose
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

I understand exactly what you are saying....and I have treated hundreds of these over my career. When they are pulled on, it will disrupt the nail bed and kill the nail. So it is very likely that this nail will die. And it is somewhat likely that the nail bed will get infected. So, yes I feel you should see a vet....but that is really up to you.

So you can clean it with H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) and you can wait and watch if you choose....

let me know if you have any other questions. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

Can I assist you further? Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kane. How is everything going?
Dr B