Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Type your message... our small dog stands up before taking a

Customer Question

Customer: Type your message... our small dog stands up before taking a poo and ocassionally has diahrea
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: gets excited and tries to look in window and finnaly poos
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

I'm not quite sure what your question is. Are you saying that your dog sometimes defecates while standing up and not assuming the normal hunched position?

What breed is your dog?

How old is your dog?

I'm not sure what you mean by gets excited, tries to look in window and then defecates. Are you inside and the dog outside?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he does a little dance then goes to the normal position . a shitzu mix abot 1 1/2 years old
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it doesn't matter if we are outside or not. e mail me you answer

That behavior is pretty normal for a small dog. Some dogs even require a short walk before they are able to defecate. Many dogs will spend 10 minutes finding the perfect spot to defecate and other will spend minutes circling to find the perfect spot. There is even some studies out there that indicate dogs may align themselves north to south when defecating.

As for diarrhea, it is not unusual for a dog to experience occasional diarrhea. It can be caused by an unusual treat, parasites like worms, a protozoan infection like giardia or coccidian or even stress. Some anxious dogs experience diarrhea on a regular basis and it can be linked to IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).

If your dog is only experiencing diarrhea every once in a while, I wouldn’t be too concerned. You can add a teaspoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) or Metamucil to the food which will help keep the feces pliable but absorb excess fluid in the bowels eliminating diarrhea.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

I want to mention that her breed can have problems with disc issues in the back which can cause a dog to have less control of the bowels. If it is like she has no control of her bowels then that might be an issue . You would need her checked for disc issues. Read more on these here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx