Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We think our dog ate some paint. She just urinated all over

Customer Question

We think our dog ate some paint. She just urinated all over (us and her) and that is not normal
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What kind of paint did she eat? Could it have had lead in it?

How long ago did she have it?

How much do you think she had?

Any belly discomfort/tensing/pain if you press on it?

Was the urine a normal color or watery? Large or small volume?

Is she drinking more?

Any gagging, retching, vomiting or appetite loss?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We can't tell how much she ingested. The small container was tipped over in her bed. Looks like a lot soaked into the bed.She was tossing and turning We thought it was because we had guests and they snored. We let her up on the bed with us (not normal). She kept getting up and down and trying to get comfortable. She kept licking her chops and whimpered a bit.She then Peres all over us.l and the bed. I can't tell how watery it is but it smells like pee. Maybe a bit weaker. She's had a kidney issue before which requires an overnight stay at the hospital.No gagging or vomiting
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She just peed a bunch of white out twice so it went thru her system
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Do you mean its clear? Or there was white mucus?

What kind of paint was this? House paint, acrylics, etc?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
House paint. It what white like the paint.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate the mouth is connected to the GI not the urinary tract. Therefore, paint cannot just pass through the kidneys and into the urine. So, if she is urinating white material this is more likely to be mucus as opposed to paint. Still if that urine is opaque and because she has a known kidney issue in her past, then it'd be best to have her seen at this stage and make sure we have no further kidney damage with this.

Otherwise, paint ingestion doesn't tend to cause urinary signs. If anything, we tend to see nausea, GI upset, and this would git with her lip licking. And her licking of her chops does fit with paint ingestion. In this case, we'd want to have a good look in her mouth (as that can give us a clue if she has had much) and rinse any residue there with cool water. Afterwards we can start some supportive care to settle her stomach. To start, you can put her onto an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

If she steadies on that, we can put her on small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

Overall, the urination itself doesn't fit with paint exposure. Still with her past history and if this is white/cloudy urine, then we'd want to consider having her seen to just make sure that her kidneys are not being harmed by an ingredient in this paint. Her vet can test her kidney function to make sure that isn't compromised and start IV fluids to flush the paint toxin out of her system here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. I was wrong in that she pooped out a bunch of white not peed so it is going thru her system. She's settled on her bed and seems more comfortable. We'll watch her carefully. Thank you!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome,

That makes more sense if it was passed via her rectum. In that case, do monitor her closely and you can again use the above to help settle her stomach but also reduce loose stool as she passes this.

All the best to you both,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Cynthia,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sugar. How is everything going?
nekovet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

** Please remember to rate my service when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)