Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog who is around or over 40 lbs just ingested one 200 mg

Customer Question

Customer: My dog who is around or over 40 lbs just ingested one 200 mg ibuprofen tablet. I need to know if I should be concerned...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Umm...she is almost 1 year old and is a husky. She consumed the pill about 15 minutes ago, and hasn't shown any signs as of yet.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I will wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.

Are you still there?

I'm not sure if my answer was sent to you or completely lost?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I haven't received anything

Okay. sorry. my internet connection went down but I didn't realize it. so answer never went through. retyping now.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you

Let's pretend we wanted your pet to get ibuprofen. On the internet, you will find a recommended dose as high as 4mg per pound. So, at 40 pounds, that's a dose of 160mg. Your pet ingested 200mg. That is not much higher. So, I am not worried about any toxicity to the body. Could it still cause some diarrhea, and less likely, vomiting? Yes
But, there is no indication to induce vomiting or for emergency treatment.

I would perhaps give some extra food right now to help the stomach a bit.

You could even give a tablet of some over the counter Pepcid A.C. antacid 10mg regular strength.

If you were to observe any illness, a regular vet visit for some basic supportive care is all that may be needed. In fact, its possible you may not observe any problem at all.

Hope that information helps

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?