Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

, My dog has been on prednisone and anticbiotics and

Customer Question

Customer: Hi:
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog has been on prednisone and anticbiotics for allergies and now will not leave his crate. What do I do he is a two year old mixed Bichon and was a rescue
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your dog. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. How long has he been acting this way?

2. Is he eating and drinking (if you put food/water in his crate)?

3. Any vomiting or diarrhea?

4. What happens if you physically try to move him out of his crate?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your help. Yes he is eating and drinking. He has been acting this way for a few days. He will growl if I try and take him out. He used to be a happy go lucky dog and he is not himself at all.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No vomiting, a little diarrhea and nothing else
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions. That's good that he's still eating and drinking.

I assume that he's still currently taking the steroids and antibiotics that you mentioned in your original post. If that's the case, then I'd have to wonder if he's not having a drug reaction. Gastrointestinal issues can certainly be seen when antibiotics are dispensed which typically resolve once they're stopped. I usually suggest a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice and a probiotic (such as Forti Flora) while the patient is on antibiotics when loose stools develop.

And, while most dogs tolerate prednisone quite well, personality changes have been reported although they aren't commonly seen.

If there's been a clear change in his behavior since starting prednisone, then he may be one of those few dogs who react in this way. Unfortuantely, unless or until the drug is tapered and/or discontinued, then he may continue to behave in this uncharacteristic fashion:(

If this were my case, I'd try to taper the steroids as quickly as possible but this may be an option which you'd want to discuss with your vet, too.

In the meantime, you don't want to be injured if he's not himself and overly reactive. I might try and get a leash around his neck and gently encourage him out of the crate...perhaps entice him with a favorite food such as a piece of steak or chicken. I wouldn't try to interact with him too much while he's not himself.

Hopefully, once the drug is stopped, he should return to the dog you know and love.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm just following up on your dog. How are things going with him? Deb