VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

My dog ate a hairnet. Will it pass?

Customer Question

My dog ate a hairnet. Will it pass?
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question! Does Hazel have any health issues, take any medications, or has she had any surgeries for an obstruction in the past? Also, how much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi! She is about 30 lbs. No health issues or medications. In August she had a piece of a toy she had bitten off removed via an endoscopy.

It's good news that she had it removed with an endoscope, as that does not have the tendency to leave scar tissue down in the intestines like surgery does (this can make passing future objects a bit difficult).

The answer is a resounding maybe. In a 30 pound dog, she had a better chance of passing it than a 10 pound terrier would, but the problem with things like hairnets is that they tend to get all twisted around, and it potentially could get caught in the twists and turns of the bowels. So, since she just ingested it, you have a couple of options.

One would be to call a local vet and have them guide you through inducing vomiting at home with hydrogen peroxide. We typically give them about 1 tbsp of fresh 3% peroxide per 15 pounds (so in her case, she'd get 2 tablespoons), mixed in with a small amount of plain vanilla ice cream or peanut butter. They'll have you get her moving and repeat the dose in 15 minutes if she does not vomit. This will hopefully help retrieve the net while it's still in the stomach.

If she doesn't vomit, or you wish to try and push it through to her stools instead of trying to induce vomiting, you can add something high in fiber to help move her bowels a bit faster and shove the net right through. 1 slice of plain wheat bread, or 2 tablespoons of plain canned pumpkin (without the spices, so no pie filling) twice a day for the next 2-3 days should be enough to get things moving, then you'll keep an eye out for it in the stool.

Even with bulking, sometimes things just don't come through. So if you're not seeing it pass in the stools, or if in the next 2-3 days you start to see signs of lethargy, repeated vomiting, not eating, not drinking, restlessness/stomach pain, or if she straining to poop, you'll want to get her into the vet clinic for retrieval. You could attempt to go in now and see if they can get it out by scope if you are able, and if it is still in the stomach, they may be able to fetch it before it passes. If you wait until 2-3 days from now, they can also take an x-ray and see if they are able to see any gas or food building up around the net which might indicate the start of a blockage.

Things like this are a little bit hit and miss, so if you want to be 100% sure, inducing vomiting, or having the vet fetch it out with a scope would be the safest way to go.

Do you have further questions?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, thank you.

You're very welcome! Good luck, and let me know how things turn out!