Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Shepherd with tip of ear itching and inflammation
,

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** shepherd with tip of ear itching and inflammation
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: been treated with atopica and zyrtec with good control but bitch has been bred so I discontinued cyclosporine and ketoconazole and wonder what can replace it to keep inflammation to minimum or if anything topically can be applied
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Shepherd. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I would not recommend any ointments containing steroids like Cortaid; the steroids can be systemically absorbed. You can try the topical antibiotics mupirocin but it is by prescriptoin. You can also try Douxo Micellar; that should be safe:

http://www.entirelypets.com/micellar4.html

You might try topical antihistamines like Benadryl ointment, but use it sparingly.

Let me know if this is helpful, and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I answered you. You can get back to me with updates and questions after rating. Please let me know how she is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?