How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask VetTechErin Your Own Question
VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 669
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094
Type Your Dog Question Here...
VetTechErin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Could an allergic reaction to a burning candle cause a bad

Customer Question

Could an allergic reaction to a burning candle cause a bad cough and white foam coming from my dogs mouth?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your question. Are you seeing any swelling of the face, or is she having any difficulty breathing? What color are her gums?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She was having trouble breathing however I have given her 5 mg of Torbultrol and 1/2 tablet ofTemeril-P she seems to be better but have never seen the foam before
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Gums are dark pink appetite good
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 11 months ago.

Sometimes we can see reactions when dogs inhale smoke, but asthma in dogs is not nearly as common as it is in cats. When they're having an allergic reaction to something, we tend to see facial swelling, possibly difficulties breathing.

Drooling tends to be associated more with GI upset and toxin ingestion. When they swallow something that upsets their stomach, for instance, drooling and foaming is often a sign of nausea. Some toxins will cause profuse drooling, and it is usually related to something that causes pretty severe signs (drooling, lethargy, vomiting, and an increase in mucous production. We call these SLUDDE signs, and almost always constitute an emergency.

Given that you're seeing two signs that are fairly significant when seen together (difficulty breathing, and salivation), I think it's best to pack her over to the emergency vet clinic. I know you say she's getting slightly better, but when it comes to difficulty breathing,if they take a sudden turn for the worst, you want to be at a clinic, when time is of the essence.

I really don't think this is related to the candle itself, but take it with you to the clinic just to be on the safe side. I would also make a mental list of things you have in your household to provide to the vet (indoor plants like sago palm trees, hops, pesticides, medications you take on a daily basis in case one got accidentally dropped). This can help your vet a lot when a situation turns dire, as they can use it to help treat her if she possibly could have ingested any of these.