Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog keeps putting s in the air, he has had diarrhea some

Customer Question

My dog keeps putting his butt in the air, he has had diarrhea some Over the past two to three days. He has been putting his butt in the air for that long of time as well, help... He's a Yorkie and he's 10 years old
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Those questions will follow.

Is he eating and drinking normally?

Has he had any vomiting?

Has he had any bacon, ham, fried foods recently?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
on eating and water may have vommited but other dog may of no human food nothing fried

Thanks for the additional information. The position you indicate with the rear up in the air is generally considered a symptom of abdominal pain. This is frequently seen in a dog with pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is a gland that produces and releases enzymes into the digestive track that aid in the digestion of food. When these same enzymes are activated while they are still in the pancreas, inflammation occurs and the enzyme start "digesting" the pancreas itself.

Some common causes of pancreatitis are eating a lot of very fatty foods, obesity, steroid use and other diseases and conditions. In some cases, it just happens. Symptoms of pancreatitis vary but can include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, weakness or collapse, dehydration, shock, fever, depression, and upper abdominal pain. A dog may indicate abdominal pain by acting restless, panting, crying or wincing when picked up, shaking, standing with an arched back, or lying with the front end down and the rear end elevated.

You can read about it in detail here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

The fact that he does have diarrhea and may have vomited do point toward either pancreatitis or a possible gastrointestinal issue. Pancreatitis is considered an emergency. I would urge you to have him seen by a vet as soon as possible. In the meantime, you may want to withhold food and limit water for 6-12 hours then offer very small portions of boiled chicken and rice. Start with just a teaspoon of food and if he does ok, give more in 30 minutes or so. Gradually increase the amount if he can handle it with no vomiting or discomfort (indicated by either panting or his position). If there is no improvement after that, you will need to have him seen.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

I'm just following up on our conversation about Leo. How is everything going?