Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Just noticed my pugalier 9 years old has a hard lump in s

Customer Question

Just noticed my pugalier 9 years old has a hard lump in his throat. What could this be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Where on his throat is it? Under his jaw? Right in the middle front of the throat?

Since you said "in his throat" are you seeing this in his mouth?

Does it appear tender or sore when you press on it?

Any changes to his breathing, snoring, or voice?

Any appetite loss, vomiting, or chance he ate something he should not have?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Doesn't appear to be sore. Breathing, snoring normal, voice fine. Don't think he ate something to cause it. No loss of appetite or vomiting.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could it be a cyst?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

I am glad that he has none of those other signs and in that case we are likely looking at lump involving the outer tissues as opposed to the inside of the throat. In regards ***** ***** this could be, we do have a few concerns with a cyst being just one of them (though often those feel like little fluid filled balloons) That said, of this has just appeared, then cysts, beign growths and nasty cancers would be less likely. Instead, when we consider those lumps that could arise this quickly. So, we’d need to consider trauma induced hematomas (blood blister like lesions), soft tissue swelling, abscesses, and insect sting induced allergic reactions.

Now with these in mind, we can start some supportive care to try and rule out some of these. To start, if there is any chance or a bee/spider/wasp sting or bite, then we can reduce allergic type swelling using antihistamines. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of body weight twice daily) is often enough to reduce these signs over a few days. We do usually like to keep the dose low in dogs, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). As well, of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Furthermore, to reduce swelling with any of these sudden appearing concerns, you can also start warm compressing this lump. This can reduce inflammation as well as encourage hematomas and allergic reactions to settle. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Now if you use the above, but the lump doesn't settle with our supportive care, then we'd need to think about those other issues (especially if this could have been present for a while without us noticing). In that case, the best way to approach an abnormal lump like this is to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If they remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If blood or blood stained fluid is removed, then trauma was most likely and pain relief/dog-safe anti-inflammatories can be used to settle the swelling. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the lump can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment.

Overall, if this lump is sudden in appearance, we would consider those initial sudden onset concerns. Therefore, since it’s not painful or obviously draining pus, then you can try the above to rule out those aforementioned concerns. Otherwise, if this doesn’t settle or may have been present for longer then a day; then we’d want to have your vet sample this lump to identify its cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address it for your wee one.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)