Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog is having a hard time urinating. He keeps wanting to

Customer Question

My dog is having a hard time urinating. He keeps wanting to go outside to go to the bathroom, but no urine is coming out. When we feel his penis it is hard, is that normal?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

A dog's penis is different than a humans in that it does contain a small bone in the shaft area. So it may feel "hard".

When a dog is unable to urinate at all, it is considered an emergency. Toxins can build up as a result. If a dog is able to at least urinate a little even if it is only a few drops at a time, then likely you can wait until your vet opens.

It is likely he has a urinary tract infection. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. Stones or crystals might also be an issue as well.

So if your dog is able to urinate even if just a few drops, then you should be able to wait until morning to have him seen. Be sure he has plenty of fresh water and somewhere he can eliminate at if he feels the need. If he isn't able to urinate, I have to advise you to have him seen by your vet.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/