Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 5 pound cockapoo drank dinner of my amaretto when my back

Customer Question

My 5 pound cockapoo drank dinner of my amaretto when my back was turned. She is 5 pounds. Don't think she drank much but is decimating "drunk".
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Unfortunately, alcohol poisoning is a concern in dogs and cats. Dogs can get drunk, and just like people the symptoms are the same. They include disorientation, nausea, urination problems or even coma or death from alcohol poisoning. If you believe your dog has ingested alcohol and is exhibiting symptoms, please have your dog seen by your vet. Read more on this here:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=216&A=2059&S=1

Given her small size and her exhibiting symptoms, I think you need to have her seen as soon as possible.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/