Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 7 year old lab and pit mix is very energetic but past six

Customer Question

My 7 year old lab and pit mix is very energetic but for the past six months after we go play fetch with the chuck it, the morning after he cries when getting up and walking for a couple minutes then he doesn't cry anymore. He is in the back yard playing with his sister all day but they go to the park only a couple times a month.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, I must warn that bodies can change a lot in a year and therefore those old x-rays are of limited value. That said, even without signs of arthritis back then, we'd still be concerned about these signs of discomfort being related to muscle, or nerve based pain (neither of which would have been detected by x-ray). As well, causes for joint based pain aren't always clear on x-ray. In any case, if you have not already, it'd be ideal to consider some supportive care to see if we can ease Buddy's signs.

Specifically, you could try him with OTC glucosamine/chondroitin. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight and you could try there with Buddy for a few weeks.

Further to this, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for him, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for your lad. As well, you could also try Duralactin (More Info HERE) as another supportive measure.

Finally, while you didn't note it in his history, you could speak to his vet about a trial on dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, steroids, etc) and/or pain relief options. Since he cannot tell us where it hurts, we often will trial pain relief to see if we can narrow down the area of discomfort and manage that for them. So, that too would be a consideration for helping Buddy and trying to get him back to normal mobility and play.

All the best and happy holidays,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)