PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog is about 15-20 lbs. Her gums r very red and bleeding

Customer Question

My dog is about 15-20 lbs. Her gums r very red and bleeding can I give her z4017 g Rey n red capsule fir her 8nfectuon?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, thanks for your question. I am happy to help you, but I do need more information. The original text provided states you have "z4017 grey and red" capsules. I have looked online and do not see any information for this medication. If you can provide the name of the medication and the milligram, I can help you further to determine if it might help her.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Z4073 I'm sorry I was afraid to look into my notes thinking I would loose th I s sight. I gave u the wrong number z4073 is 5HE correct one.

Thanks for the information. No wonder I couldn't find it! Thought my google skills were going soft on me.

This medication is 250mg Cephalexin. This medication is commonly used for skin issues in dogs and not usually used for infections in the mouth. The dosage used for this usage is typically 1 capsule twice daily for 7-14 days.

It's most likely that Jitterbug does not have a random infection but probably has some dental disease and associated inflammation of the gingiva. This often causes sensitivity and bleeding. Additionally, the aspirin you're giving can exacerbate bleeding as it has anticoagulant properties. It's possible the appearance of her symptoms look worse than they are with the medication she's being given.

If she does have dental disease present, the best thing to do is to have a physical exam performed by a veterinarian and to schedule a dental cleaning. This is performed while the dog is completely sedated and the calculus is scaled by hand by the veterinarian or qualified technician. Depending on how bad the disease is, your vet may wish to place her on antibiotics before and/or after her dental to prevent further problems (medications like Clindamycin are typically used for oral concerns). Once this is done, the gingiva will go back to being pink and healthy and won't bleed. You'll still need to keep up with brushing her teeth, but it's very common for small breeds like rat terriers to need dentals every 1-3 years even with regular brushing of their teeth.

Two things that you can do to prevent buildup are to give hard chew toys like nylabones and knuckle bones that will help to scale calculus as she chews. Additionally, there are products that can help alter the flora within the mouth and prevent calculus from forming as quickly. As hesitant as I was to believe a product like this would work, I have seen some astounding benefits from it within the clients that are using it on their small dogs. Fellow technicians who are using it also rave about the benefits they see in their own dogs (and cats). What's more, it can be added to water to form a paste and used as a tooth paste which shows even more benefits because of its direct use: http://www.wysong.net/products/dentatreat-dog-cat-supplement.php

More information on canine periodontal disease: http://www.avdc.org/periodontaldisease.html

If my answer has helped you, please leave a positive rating for me. If questions remain, reply and I will help you further. You will still be able to reach out to me once a rating has been given.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jitterbug. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy