Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

After 5 days my female puppy was spayed can i take cone off

Customer Question

After 5 days my female puppy was spayed can i take cone off she hates it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

You can take the e-collar off and see how she does without it. If you notice her licking or biting at the area, then I'd put it on for a fe more days. Remember that she should be kept inactive for the first week, so try to prevent her jumping or running around. I usually suggest crating that first week with leashed trips outside for elimination only. Most dogs do not find ecollars (cone) pleasant. They make a no bite collar that help prevent a dog from reaching that area of the body that is not as irritating to a dog. See one here:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24158&cmpid=01cseYY&ref=XXXX&subref=AA&ref=6111&cmpid=01csegb&gclid=CPDXseje6skCFdgBgQodsRkPjw

They prevent the dog from turning their neck far enough to reach where the stitches are and thus prevent them from injuring the incision site.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/