Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dauchshund is limping on s back right leg. It stated a

Customer Question

My dauchshund is limping on his back right leg. It stated a couple of days ago in the morning. We didn't see any instance where he would have been injured. The limping has become more pronounced. Now he is avoiding using it at all. When I massage the area he doesn't react with pain.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that your boy is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 27 years. I would be happy to help.

In a small breed dog we commonly see problems with the knees called luxating patellas. This problem can range in severity from mild to severe requiring surgery.

That said in this breed when we see problems with a one or both hind limbs that progress to the inability to use the leg(s) we always worry about a problem with the spine. This breed is the most common breed in which we see disc disease causing slipped, compressed, ruptured and deteriorating discs. This in many cases can lead to full paralysis if not treated promptly. I am going to give you some information to go over regarding this problem in the Dachshund breed LINK

I know most pet owners come here hoping to avoid going to the vet, however that is not always possible and we have to recommend what is in the best interest of the pet. If this was any other breed I may have suggested just resting him for a few days,but I have worked with a neurologist long enough to see how many of dogs this breed have trouble and how quickly it can progress making full recovery less likely. Due to his breed and the fact that the problem is progressing I have to recommend getting him in to see your vet today if possible.

Hopefully this is just a problem with the knee and some rest will get him back to his old self but we must rule out any spinal problems first.

Until you can get him in I would try to limit his movement as much as possible, Only up walking to go potty and no stairs, jumping or playing.

I hope this helps give you some direction and this is nothing serious. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to continue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about David Marshall. How is everything going?
Candy